Homemade chocolate eclairs
- 50 g (1 3/4 oz) Freddo dark chocolate chips
For the cabbage paste:
- 180 ml (3/4 Cup) water
- 80 ml (1/3 Cup) of unsalted butter
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) flour
- 4 to 5 eggs
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) flour
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) cocoa
- 90 g (about 3 oz) Freddo dark chocolate chips
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla
Preparation of the cabbage paste:
- Boil water with the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and heat on low temperature while stirring, until dough is obtained. Preheat oven to 190 ° C (375 ° F).
- Vigorously whisk the preparation until the dough is detached from the pan’s wall.
- Remove from heat, then incorporate the eggs one by one, stirring vigorously until uniform consistency is obtained.
- On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, form 12 eclairs of 7.5 cm (3 in.) in length using a pastry pouch.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the eclairs golden. Leave to cool.
Preparation of custard:
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until it starts to boil.
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar in a bowl. Add in in flour and cocoa. Pour the hot milk into the bowl, then transfer the mixture into the saucepan. Boil over medium heat while whipping.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Leave cool, incorporate the vanilla.
Preparation of the filling and icing:
- Pierce two holes under each eclair, then garnish with chocolate custard using a pastry pouch with a small sleeve.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, then coat the top of the eclair. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
Tip: How to fill a pastry pouch?
- To fill a pastry pouch, place it in a glass and fold the edge of the pastry pocket over it.
- Fill the pouch with the preparation.